Much of BTS’s client work focuses on inspiring people to do the best work of their lives, and a natural extension of this mission is to bring the same capabilities to leaders in education and at sustainability non-profits. BTS isn’t alone in this effort: a recent poll highlighted a growing interest in social responsibility among consumers who realize that the brands that they support ought to contribute to the greater good.
“The ongoing pandemic nudged many to re-evaluate our relationship with the communities that we are a part of. Over the past year and a half, the COVID-19 pandemic cast a light on the varying elements in our society—socio-economic inequality, healthcare, climate change, and food security, to name a few. Many a times, the only ray of hope seemed to be the inspiring stories of people going beyond their might to help their families, friends, and even strangers.” (“The culture of giving back: Investing where it matters the most”)
Here are three ways that BTS is committed to giving back: supporting social impact through ventures in Africa and India by partnering with organizations such as AvoVision; using the UN’s 2030 Sustainable Development Goals as a blueprint for improving our corporate sustainability footprint; and extending our leadership development expertise to educators through BTS Spark.
About BTS Spark: Five Sparks One and beyond
BTS’s educational leadership practice, Spark, recently launched the Five Sparks One initiative to provide pro bono coaching for school leaders. Clients can opt into supporting fully-funded BTS coaching for school leaders in underserved communities. For every five clients who participate, BTS can offers a free opportunity to join to one school leader — hence, “Five Sparks One.”
Participating companies get to see every dollar they invest as a reflection of their purpose, vision, and mission. According to Jason Shreve, Head of Talent Management at accounting firm Frank, Rimerman + Co., “When we choose vendors, we consider whether their people and way of working aligns with [our mission], to be recognized as a unique, high-spirited firm making creative and innovative contributions to our clients and our community.” Frank, Rimerman + Co. funded BTS’s first cohort of Five Sparks One coachees to align their development and corporate-responsibility efforts.
Spark’s reach spans both coasts of the US, and through Dignitas — an international non-profit focused on mobilizing investments in school leadership training — goes as far as Kenya. Here are some reflections from participating school leaders from around the world:
- “I am so humbled to be part of the selected ones. I just finished my session. It was so good – thanks to the coach and Dignitas for your assistance.” – Principal, Dignitas, Kenya
- “My coach was amazing! She was always ready and excited to support, brainstorm, and practice new skills and strategies during each of our sessions. Her ability to have a caring yet constructive coaching was just what I needed as we closed out the school year and started to plan for the fall.” – Assistant Principal, WA, USA
- “Through coaching, reflecting, and role-playing, my coach helped me learn and grow from past challenging experiences and reframe my thinking. I have utilized the skills and strategies I learned and experienced many times since completing the program. Much gratitude for my coach and the BTS Spark Five Sparks One program!” – Principal, WA, USA
- “Through coaching we have built confidence to execute in the most difficult aspects of our roles. Every educator and every leader benefits from coaching relationships.” – Superintendent, NC, USA
What’s next? Soon-to-be-launched leadership and coaching programs for corporate clients have already enabled free coaching for more than 50 school leaders this year, and BTS hopes to involve clients in many more. Let’s make 2023 the year of giving back and sharing expertise — please consider making Five Sparks One part of your leadership and coaching programs!
Find out more at bit.ly/FiveSparksOne
- Gad Nestel is the Head of Coaching – West Coast, USA firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sean Slade is the co-Head of Education, BTS Spark, North America email@example.com