As part of their broader learning journey, a leading American department store chain challenged their HiPo merchant leaders to commit to win, own their roles, build trust, and get better every day.
To do this, these leaders would need to gain a better understanding of their strategy, learn how to bring it to life for their customers, and work across the organization to make this happen.
The organization partnered with BTS to create a customized Winning in Business simulation that enabled participants to…
- Practice real-world decision-making by acting as a VP in a risk-free environment
- Monitor and respond to broader fashion industry trends in order to grow the business: in-store, online, and via mobile
- Develop the discipline required to make effective product assortment decisions while remaining flexible in response to changing trends
- Understand the interdependencies between their decisions and the impacts on other functions
- Shift from a mindset of “winner take all” to one of collaboration and positive influence
- Learn how to truly lead a team by making talent management a daily activity and
giving effective feedback
- “Building a strategy, making choices based on that strategy and then seeing it play out immediately was very enlightening. I really felt challenged to evolve my team’s strategy as trends changed each season!”
- “The experience reinforced the need to be focused on the customer during every decision. Stay informed on their ever changing desires and purchase decision drivers, and consider the long term ramifications of your decisions, especially when it relates to internal and external relationships.”
- “We are constantly trying to influence folks. It’s part of the job and maybe it’s just being human. Since the simulation, I have been so much more deliberate with my interactions with my vendor partners and my peers. I now focus more on observing and asking questions, and then being an advocate for the best course of action for everyone involved.”